Driving to the Station
From either Interstate 81 (exit 118B) or Rte 77 in Virginia, take Rte 460 toward Blacksburg and Virginia Tech. Once you are in Giles County, take Rte 700 (Mountain Lake Rd) or Rte 613 (Doe Creek Rd) up the mountain toward the Mountain Lake Lodge. Routes 700 and 613 merge at the top near the Lodge. Enter the Lodge grounds and continue on Rte 613 for 1.6 miles. You will pass above the west shore of the (partially filled) lakebed, and the road will turn to gravel. Continue past a sign for Treetop Adventures. When the road forks, bear right at the "Mountain Lake Biological Station" sign onto Salt Pond Circle. Follow the arrows on the welcome signs, generally bearing right, and park in the large gravel lot. Register at the Station office - Lewis Hall 102.
MLBS physical address: 240 Salt Pond Rd., Pembroke, VA 24136
Winter Driving Warning
Vehicle access may be difficult or impossible in winter conditions. These conditions can start in October and continue into April. Please check the forecast and call ahead before you travel. Four wheel drive may be required, or the road may be impassible.
Roanoke Regional Airport (ROA) is the only conveneint airport; it is a 1.25hr drive to the Station. C'artier Limousine service provides transport directly to the Station for approximately $80 (540-982-5466). The Smart Way Bus runs from the airport to downtown Blacksburg for $4. If MLBS staff are availble someone may be able to come pick you up in Blacksburg (please contact us well in advance if you'll need our help). Some other options for getting up the mountain from Blacksburg include Text-A-Cab (540-239-9742), Blacksburg Taxi (540-552-6671), and Hooptie Ride (540-449-3748). The Roanoke Regional Airport lists rental car and other ground transportation options.
Notes to Visitors
- Mountain Lake Biological Station is a scientific research facility. Day and overnight visits are by appointment or invitation only. Complete a housing request form to arrange an overnight stay.
- Dogs are not allowed, and may not be left in vehicles. Please do not arrive at MLBS with your dog. No pets of any kind are permitted on the Station without the explicit and advance permission of the Director.
- Firearms are never permitted, including in vehicles.
- All arrivals must register at the Station Office,102 Lewis Hall.
- Housing check in is 4:00 p.m. Check out is by 12:00 p.m.