Conference Dates: September 22 - 24, 2023
Enrollment Limit: 105
Cost: $110 - $190
Deadline for Registration: August 25
Deadline for Cancellation with Refund: August 25
Please join us for the 50th annual SEPEEG conference to be held at Mountain Lake Biological Station September 22 - 24, 2023. The scientific fields represented at the meeting are diverse, and span evolution, ecology, genetics, and behavior. SEPEEG is a single-session meeting that provides a comfortable, engaging environment for formal and informal interactions between attendees. The meeting generally attracts over 100 participants, who are at all career stages and from diverse institutions throughout the southeastern United States.
Sign up for Talks, Posters and Mentoring (program is now full):
- Talks & Posters: We cannot guarantee the opportunity to give a talk, but will try to balance talks by career stage, institution, subject area, registration date, etc. Posters are encouraged. The poster session will be held before lunch on Saturday, with refreshments! We have moved the poster session earlier in the program to encourage more interactions during the meeting, especially for early career stage researchers.
- Mentoring: In order to promote more interactions across institutions and career stages, at SEPEEG 2023 we will be piloting an optional mentorship program for attendees of different career stages. The time commitment is minimal: mentors and mentees will meet over breakfast during the meeting and are encouraged to interact during other free times.
-> Submit an abstract and/or to sign up to be a mentor or mentee (program is now full).
Full Program Schedule: Attendees should arrive Friday afternoon, September 22. Earliest room check-in is 4:00pm. Dinner will NOT be served on Friday. Make sure to get what you need before coming up the mountain. Blacksburg is a 30 minute drive and the last option to find food. The first meal served will be breakfast on Saturday. The program begins Friday with a Reception at 7:00pm and Opening Seminar at 8:00pm. Checkout is Sunday, September 24, by noon. Box lunches will be provided on Sunday. CLICK here for program details.
Accommodations: MLBS is a remote and rustic field station, a good 30 minutes from civilization. There is no cell service, but wifi is available in all buildings. Please review the station’s Accommodations page, and checklist for what to bring. Linens, pillows, and towels are not provided unless special arrangements are made. You will almost certainly be assigned housing with one or more roommates and a shared bath. Indicate in the registration form or contact the MLBS office with any special housing concerns or requests, including need for family or couple's accommodations. There is no camping on the station. Dogs are not allowed at MLBS.
- Off Site Accommodation Options: There are a variety of standard hotel options in Blacksburg and Christiansburg (30-40 minutes away). The Mountain Lake Lodge (mtnlakelodge.com) is the only very local off-site option (2 miles from MLBS). White Rocks Campground is 7 miles down the far side of the mountain on steep gravel road. More about MLBS accommodations…
Location and Travel: MLBS is a remote full-service residential field station in the Appalachian Mountains of southwest Virginia. Road access is good. The nearest airport is Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport (ROA), a 1.25hr drive from the Station. Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) is a 3hr drive. More about travelling to MLBS…
Cost and Registration: There is a three-tiered rate structure. All registration options include meeting sessions, social activities, and meals at MLBS. Attendees can choose to stay off-site (Regular Registration WITHOUT Housing at MLBS) for a slightly reduced rate.
- American Society of Naturalists is sponsoring a discounted registration rate for ASN student members. Graduate and undergraduate students are invited to join ASN now to be eligible for this discounted rate. The cost of ASN student membership is only $25. The discount you get for joining is $80. So it is well worth it.
- Contact MLBS directly (540-626-7196 or email@example.com) to inquire about family housing availability and cost.
|Regular Registration with Housing at MLBS||$190|
|Regular Registration WITHOUT Housing at MLBS||$170|
|ASN Student Member Registration - Join ASN now to get discount!||$110|
History of SEPEEG: (courtesy 2020 meeting site)
For More information:
Contact conference hosts with questions about structure and content:
|Helen Murphy||hamurphy [at] wm [dot] edu||College of William and Mary|
|Josh Puzey||jrpuzey [at] wm [dot] edu||College of William and Mary|
|Karen Barnard-Kubow||barnarkb [at] jmu [dot] edu||James Madison University|
|Priscilla Erickson||perickso [at] richmond [dot] edu||University of Richmond|
|Amanda Gibson||amandakgibson [at] virginia [dot] edu||University of Virginia|
Contact MLBS representatives about registration, travel logistics, and the field station:
|Eric Nagy||Associate Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org||540-626-5227|
|Jaime Jones||Station Manageremail@example.com||540-626-7196|
- SEPEEG and Mountain Lake Biological Station thank American Society of Naturalists for its generous support.