Driving to the Station
From either Interstate 81 (exit 118B) or Rte 77 in Virginia, take Rte 460 toward Blacksburg and Virginia Tech. Once you are in Giles County, take Rte 700 (Mountain Lake Rd) or Rte 613 (Doe Creek Rd) up the mountain toward the Mountain Lake Lodge. Routes 700 and 613 merge at the top near the Lodge. Enter the Lodge grounds and continue on Rte 613 for 1.6 miles. You will pass above the west shore of the (partially filled) lakebed, and the road will turn to gravel. Continue past a sign for Treetop Adventures. When the road forks, bear right at the "Mountain Lake Biological Station" sign onto Salt Pond Circle. Follow the arrows on the welcome signs, generally bearing right, and park in the large gravel lot. Sign in at the Station office - Lewis Hall 102.
MLBS's physical address is 240 Salt Pond Rd., Pembroke, VA 24136
Winter Driving Warning
Vehicle access may be difficult or impossible in winter conditions. These conditions can start in October and continue into April. Please check the forecast and call ahead before you travel. Four wheel drive may be required, or the road may be impassible.
Both Roanoke (ROA) and Charlotte (CLT) are poular airports.
- Roanoke: The closest airport is Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport (ROA) and is a 1.25hr drive from the Station. C'artier Limousine service provides transport directly to the Station from the airport for approximately $90. The Smart Way Bus can get you as far as downtown Blacksburg (30min away) for $4. Various taxi (e.g. Hooptie Ride, Blacksburg Taxi, etc.) and/or rideshare services (e.g. Uber) may be available from there. The Roanoke Regional Airport lists rental car and other ground transportation options. Group transportation can sometimes be arranged through Roanoke Airport Transportation Service. Note that travel back to Blacksburg is sometimes more challenging. Rideshare services do not typically pick up from the Station. Also note that MLBS does not endorse or have a relationship with any of these companies; this information is simply provided to give you a starting point as you arrange transportation.
- Charlotte: Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) is a 3hr drive from the Station. It offers more flight options and nonstops to many more destinations than Roanoke.
Notes to Visitors
- Day and overnight visits are by appointment or invitation only. Complete a housing request form to arrange an overnight stay.
- Trails are not open to the public. MLBS is a scientific research facility.
- Dogs are not allowed and may not be left in vehicles. Please do not arrive at MLBS with your dog. No pets of any kind are permitted on the Station without the explicit and advance permission of the Director.
- Firearms are never permitted, including in vehicles.
- All arrivals must sign in at the Station Office,102 Lewis Hall.